Spanish Classes at The Cove

Gabriel Bonilla

Here at Falcon Cove Middle School, you are required to take four electives each year. Some of these electives include our foreign language electives. At Falcon Cove, a variety of

Spanish electives are provided for students to choose. These Spanish electives include Intro to Spanish, Spanish 1, Spanish 2, Spanish Speakers 1, and Spanish Speakers 2.

What do all these Spanish Classes do? Intro to Spanish teaches you the basics like the alphabet or how to spell and say simple words like “carro” (which is car in Spanish). Spanish 1 and 2 curriculum involves spanish word conjugations, culture, objects, seasons, and

emotions. Spanish 2 in particular teaches students how to conjugate in preterite and imperfect tenses, continuing on from present tense learned in Spanish 1. Spanish Speakers 1 and 2 teaches the same concept as Spanish 1 and 2, but goes more in depth for students who speak Spanish already.

“[I took Spanish because] I thought it would be fun to expand on my knowledge of Spanish and increase my vocabulary in Spanish,” says 7th grader Lorenzo Abbiati. Another bonus is that it’s a high school credit, so I get points for passing the class.” 

Many of our Spanish teachers at Falcon Cove include Margarita Jimenez, Clara Martinez, Hely Rodriguez, and Jessica Pulido. These teachers work hard to implement the Spanish language into the minds of their students. 

“I think it is a wonderful idea to allow students take one of these classes as it teaches them Spanish at an early age,” says Ms. Jessica Pulido, Spanish 2 teacher. “And trust me when I say that it’s going to benefit them in the future, in college, or even when they are traveling the world.” 

Learning another language is always helpful, but how else does learning another language like Spanish help you? How will it help you in the long run?

“We live in a world where there are a variety of languages,” says Spanish 1 and 2 teacher, Clara Martinez. “Learning another language like Spanish ultimately offers you more opportunities in getting jobs or meeting new people. Becoming bilingual is a great accomplishment that you shouldn’t pass up.”

Many of our students say they have benefited a ton from taking one of these classes. From learning the alphabet to listening tasks, spanish classes at The Cove are very informative and exciting at the same time.

“At first, my family forced me and since they are Hispanic, they wanted me to become more fluent in their language,” States 8th grader Andrea Gonzalez. “But after a while I really started to enjoy having taken that class.”