Building the Foundations For Success

Written By: Oriana Lovera

Students spend hours upon hours listening to their teachers ramble on about topics they’re not interested in. Cambridge science teacher, Mr. Richard Keery, has another way of making sure students fully grasp the information that is being taught to them in the lessons they’re learning. He uses labs to introduce students to a fun and interactive way to learn valuable skills like teamwork and cooperation.

On Wednesday, October 30, Keery put his students to the test and gave them a lab. The objective of this lab was to make a suspension bridge out of glue and popsicle sticks. Students learned architectural skills like how to make things sturdy and support lots of weight. 

Student Joey Browning remarked, “Instead of just doing worksheets and not getting any first-hand experience this is way more fun and it makes me want to learn more.” As a result, students are invested in learning but would enjoy a more interactive environment such as visual, auditory, or kinesthetic learning styles. These can apply to any of the students here at The Cove,but not all. However, labs seem to take everyone’s learning styles and turn a boring lesson into an amusing experience. 

Labs can also teach students lessons that will be used in the future. Falcons might even connect with labs according to their interests. Livia Kumagae, a student who participated in the lab, stated, “Some of us might want to be architects when we grow up. This lab is an excellent way to teach future architects about the skills they will use in the future.” Not only this, but labs most importantly teach students the science behind the reason things happen. 

Suspension bridges are cool all around, but what is more interesting is how the bridge can stay put and supported. Through trial and error, Mr. Keery’s students understood the science behind bridges. 

Using glue to assemble the bridge.

Students hard at work building bridges.
Example of a bridge students built.